We live in an earthquake zone and recent events should give us a wake up call.
So, here’s a few tips on how to make sure the inside of your home is safe during an earthquake:
Let’s go through each room!
– Note large, heavy objects. Are they secure? If not, tie them down with fasteners or straps.
– Move heavy objects to lower shelves; make sure pictures or paintings are not hanging over beds or sitting areas.
– Make sure water, electricity and gas are all labeled for on-off positions.
– Keep a wrench wrapped in a plastic bag at the base of your main gas line so you can turn it off if needed.
– Make sure your water heater, washers/dryers and other heavy appliances are secured to wall studs with either strapping or brackets.
– Don’t keep flammable liquids and other chemicals together or in a closed space like under the kitchen sink.
Get everyone involved in checking each area of your home – make it a family affair!
Finally, if you’re not sure whether your plumbing, heating or air conditioning systems are earthquake proof, give us a call! We’re always here to help you.