Carbon Monoxide Safety

Every year, there’s another news story about a death caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. In April 2013, a cast member of the reality TV show “Buckwild” was found dead inside his truck. He was found with two others who had died from carbon monoxide poisoning. In 2012, a B.C. man was found dead inside his boat, docked at the marina in Halfmoon Bay.

Though these tragic deaths occurred in vehicles, CO poisoning can happen in your home. As the gas fills the air, you may start to feel sick or ‘out of it.’ Symptoms of exposure include sudden headaches, dizziness and shortness of breath. The symptoms can get worse the longer you are exposed, and ultimately, they can lead to loss of consciousness, brain damage, and death. If you feel any of these symptoms, get outside as quickly as possible.

CO is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas that is produced by the incomplete combustion of fuel. It can be produced by gas, oil, coal or wood — fuel used by boilers, engines, generators, gas fires, water heaters and more. In the home, the gas may be released from appliances and heating equipment that were poorly installed, improperly maintained or damaged.

As a result, the importance of CO detectors and alarms cannot be overstated. You should install the detector at least 15 feet away from every fuel-burning appliance in your home — and place a detector outside every sleeping area on each level of your home. The more you have, the safer you are.

Having CO detectors installed throughout your home is just as important as regular home system maintenance done by a professional. A professional can inspect every appliance and heating system to ensure you are safe from future CO leaks. If you need help, just call us and we’ll inspect and test and install what you need. No risk, no worry!